Tired of boring training? Us too.
If you’ve taken online courses, you know how easily the mind wanders… how distractions are not only welcomed, they are invented. Too often, they are boring screens of seemingly endless content. When the content fills one screen, “click next” instructions direct us to ever more content. The monotony is relentless. The clever ones skip ahead, gambling on passing the end of course test, your organization’s signal that the course (and perhaps regulatory) requirements have been met. But, did they learn? Not likely.
To improve Learner engagement:
- Keep course content (and activities) relevant and tied to learning objectives.
- Get Learners actively involved in the course and do it early.
- Make it a discovery experience; give Learners autonomy to explore course content in the sequence they choose.
- Don’t provide all information upfront; allow Learners to draw their own conclusions during activities and use a debrief to reinforce these.
- Use examples from recent news events to keep course content fresh and allow Learners to relate the subject matter to real-world examples.